Solaris 8 and Samba 2.2.2 winbind make problems

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Oct 17 07:42:08 GMT 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Kees Damen wrote:

> After these warning/errors i have switched off winbind in ./configure
> and then i get a make without errors. For as far as i understand this
> new winbind functionality, it is not essential for our network as our
> solaris server has all the user and group names.

Correct.  winbind will build using gcc (but that doesn't solve this
problem I'm afraid).  GNU ld option '-shared'

> A question: can the Unix telnet and ftp servises use winbind for
>             getting user and group names if you have an empty
>             /etc/passwd file?

Use pam_smbpass.so for validating Unix services against smbpasswd.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org