Samba for Clearcase

Henning Techel Henning.Techel at wit.siemens.de
Wed Oct 17 00:58:03 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm experimenting with SAMBA 2.2.x and ClearCase V4.x on HP-UX 10.20,
and so far functionality is OK. But we also had to experience some
naughty effects, which have caused me to turn off SAMBA:

As far as I understand SAMBA, there is one smbd daemon running for each
client and each user. That means that all files a user opens from one
client are administered from one process (somebody correct me if I'm
wrong). At least in HP-UX 10.20 there is a limit of how many files one
process can open. Since ClearCase VOBS can hold hundreds of thousands of
files, and opening one ClearCase element usually means that on OS-level
you open several files, this limit was reached very quickly, causing
error messages like inode table full. I had to reboot the server in
order to get him back to work. Adjusting the kernel parameter ninode
helped a bit, some more files could be opened, but still not as much as
probably needed. (I think the default value for ninode is about 1.000.
I'd need at least 15.0000, but you can't adjust this value without
causing any nasty side effects, I'm afraid.)

Maybe this is fixed with the latest SAMBA release, I didn't dare to try
it, since -as usual- nobody can just play around with servers. My
manager is gonna kill me. Maybe somebodey has a solution for this
problem or can confirm that this was a SAMBA 2.2.1a bug, which is fixed
?!

Henning

Henning Techel

Siemens AG, ICN EN HO SE 87