How to use samba "mangled" japanese filename as Linux args?

Jean-Christian Imbeault jean_christian at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 16 21:17:02 GMT 2001

I have samba 2.2.1a running nicely. It's being used in a japanese office
where everyone uses japanese Windows. I have no problems on the client side.

The problem I have is when I access the server (RH Linux 7.1) using a telnet
session I can't read the dir/file names. They have been "mangled". Not being
able to read them is actually not a problem. The problem is that I can "cd"
to directories or delete files ...

For example a directory name shows up as "???N????" with ls but if I try "rm
???N????" it doesn't work.

I use the bash shell and it can't auto-complete filenames either ... when I
try to autocomplete bash actually sees the directory name as "Œ’N•ÛŒ¯",
totally different from what "ls" outputs.

So my question is, how can I use "mangled" directory/file names as arguments
to command line commands (like ls, rm ...)?

Thanks!

Jc