%U in share name

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
Tue Oct 16 19:51:04 GMT 2001

Prior to samba-2.2.2 I used the code below to provide NT roaming profiles.
This seems to have stopped working in 2.2.2.

[global]
logon path = \\mmri1001\nt-%U\NTProfile

[nt-%U]
# NT profile root directory
# We use the user's home directory as the NT profile root directory
# and then the subdirectory NTProfile is created within this root.
# This directory must be writeable by the user because NT tries to
# create the directory ntprofile.pds in this root.
comment = NT profile root directory
path = /home/%U
browseable = no
writeable = yes
nt acl support = no
preexec = /usr/local/samba/bin/create-profile %U %G %P/NTProfile %a %h %m

Should this work or was I just lucky that it used to work?

Is it possible to use %U in a share name like this so that the share name
is defined by the name of the connecting user?

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \