Slow response in Windows Explorer Window

Brentnell, Greg ISC Greg.Brentnell at isc-online.ca
Tue Oct 16 13:15:01 GMT 2001

We have what I think is somewhat of a "strange" problem.

We have a share being hosted off of our Samba server.  The Samba server is
an RS/6000 H-80, 1Gb of Ram, dual RISC processors, FCAL connected RAID disk,
running AIX 4.3.3 untuned, out of the box.  Samba is version 2.2.0 from the
distribution set on the Samba.org website.

When I do an NT map to the drive share, and then browse it with windows
explorer, it takes around 20 to 30 seconds to show the information in the
windows explorer window.  Further, while my machine is building this
explorer window, if I were to go to a DOS prompt and do a DIR from a
different machine, the share itself would appear to be "locked" until the
explorer window updates.

Share structure is as below

\SERVERNAME\CIMS
                                 \XXX
                                      \YYYY
                                           \2001-06-14

This directory has over 13,000 files, with the smallest being 43K and the
largest being 4M.  The average is around 150Kb.

I have included the smb.conf file (global section, and the section
responsible for the share).  Any thoughts on as to why we experience this
slowdown would be appreciated.

[global]
        workgroup = XXXXX
        netbios name = SERVERNAME
        server string = IBM/AIX (Samba) Dev Image and Data Server
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = XXXXX
        username map = /var/samba/users.map
        log file = /var/samba/log/log.%m
        name resolve order = wins bcast lmhosts host
        load printers = No
        max xmit = 32768
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUFF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        lm announce = False
        local master = No
        wins server = 10.232.20.10
        oplock break wait time = 100
        guest account = smbguest
        dos filetimes = Yes
[CIMS]
        comment = Cims image files storage area
        path = /sambadev/cims
        valid users = mtsdev, smbguest
        write list = mtsdev
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

Greg Brentnell - Technology Solutions Team
Information Services Corp.
Phone: 787-9992
Fax: (306)787-4617
greg.brentnell at isc-online.ca