Strange Win2k / Samba share problem

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Tue Oct 16 11:57:41 GMT 2001

I get this 'red-x' problem sometimes even with Win2K shares mapped on Win2K
boxes, so that is not just a Samba issue, although it is possible (probable?
;) that the Samba guys will be able to tell us exactly what is causing it,
as opposed to M$ denying the problem exists...

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-admin at lists.samba.org [mailto:samba-admin at lists.samba.org]On
Behalf Of Dirk Allard
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 9:52 AM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Strange Win2k / Samba share problem

Hi,

I'm using several win2k clients (SP2) together with a debian server running
Samba 2.2.2.

Several shares are mounted from the samba server via a logon script
(net use ...) by each win2k client. One of this shares is the [homes] share,
all others are static.

Mounting works without any problem, but after a few minutes all shares in
the
Explorer windows are crossed red (as if the connection to a network share is
lost). Trying a "net use" on the win2k client shows, that all network shares
are disconnected. Trying smbstatus on the linux server shows, that the
connections still are valid. One annotation: I have several shares who are
not mounted by the logon script, but are nevertheless shown by smbstatus in
the beginning. These are lost when win2k shows the other shares
disconnected.

When clicking on the "disconnected" drive in the explorer I get the
connection, but without changing the red cross on the drive letter.

Any clues how to solve this?

Best regards

Dirk Allard
--