UGH. Samba 2.2.1a, and Win2K roaming profiles

Dylan Carlson damage_z at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 08:10:28 GMT 2001

Hello,

We're running the FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE ports collection install of TNG (2.2.1a)
running as a PDC.   Our clients are predominantly Windows 2000 SP2.

Needless to say, in our migration away from Win2K PDCs, we experienced severe
problems with roaming profiles.  We lost a significant amount of user data due
to these clients hosing their own profiles.  This apparently because Samba was
not serving the profiles share correctly.

That all said, I think I understand the nature of the problem.

Either Samba or Win2K keeps screwing up the permissions in the roaming
profiles.  Some files get chown'd as root, and the problems start.   I find
that if I fix the permissions (and keep fixing them after the fact) the
profiles work fine.

I have seen numerous postings to samba lists on this problem but as yet have
been unable to target a fix.

Can anyone advise if this is fixed in a newer (CVS?) version of Samba, or if
there are things that need to be adjusted on the [profiles] share?

[profiles]
        path = /data/shares/profiles
        admin users = root @wheel
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        hide dot files = No
        browseable = Yes

Any help is completely appreciated and I will summarize back to the list.

TIA,
Dylan Carlson