Directory access permissions

Chris Ditri chrisd at better-investing.org
Tue Oct 16 07:30:07 GMT 2001

I think what fredrico says is good advice.

I have one more suggestion.

Make the users primary group the same, if possible.

So if you have user: Bob
#groups bob
(output is:) bob : bob accounting

This is not ideal, because any file made by him will have the group bob.

if you do this
# usermod -g accounting bob
# groups bob
bob : accounting

Bob doesn't really need to be a member of group bob, cuz he can already
open his own files.  BUT now, when he creates a file it takes the group of
accounting.  This way anyone in accounting will be able to get to that
file/directory (assuming you have an appropriate "create mask" and
"directory mask" as Fredrico indicated).

This is a way of relying upon the inherent permission of the *nix file
system, rather than those offered in Samba.

To use samba perms check out smb.conf options like: "valid users" "read
list" "write list" etc.

Hope it helps,

Chris