Request for Tech Support

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Tue Oct 16 06:31:09 GMT 2001

Hi Juli,

Sounds like you're where I was about 6 months ago (although I'm not all that
much farther along now - haven't had nearly as much time as I'd like to play
with it)... I'm a hardware (and Mac) guy from way back, and for the last 3
years I've been masquerading as an NT guy... Linux is definitely different,
but I like it more every time I install it.

There are a number of different text editors you can use to edit smb.conf.
vi is one (I use it, but hate it ;), emacs and pico are others.  You should
be able to execute them from anywhere, so you'd do:
cd /directory-where-smb.conf-resides (in Redhat 7.1, its in /etc/samba/
vi smb.conf (or pico smb.conf, etc)

Or, of course, you could just do:

vi /etc/samba/smb.conf

Pico is definitely easier to use, but you have to be very careful with it,
because it has the bad habit of adding hard returns to the config file (if
any of the lines are longer than the default width of the terminal window),
so you'll have to be sure and remove these before saving or it breaks
things.  If you are gonna be doing a lot of this, I highly recommend
learning  the basic vi commands (man vi).

Questions:

Is this 7.0?
If so, thats one problem - 7.0 was very broken in many ways...

The distros have come a long way since Redhat 7.0.  7.1 is much better, and
7.2 is just around the corner.  I also highly recommend Mandrake now (it was
very weak in the Server arena, but 8.1 changed all that).

I'll be learning Debian soon - I think its probably the distro I'm gonna
settle down and get warm and fuzzy with eventually...

Good luck and remember to have fun with it!

Charles Marcus