WINS Server/Browsing help required

Ferris, Richard Richard.Ferris at softwareag.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 04:30:04 GMT 2001

I've set-up a packet sniffer on a mirrored port that the WINS server is
attached to (local subnet).  Packets are coming through from the remote
subnet and the computer names are being registered in the WINS database -
however there are no packets being sent back from the WINS server and I
notice the same packets are sent through 5 times from the samba server -
which then seems to correspond with the 5 WINS timeout messages in the log:

register_name_timeout_response: WINS server at address aa.bb.cc.18 is not
responding

I've tested this with clients on the local subnet and the WINS server also
doesn't send packets back to them?  Could this be a problem with the WINS
server itself?

Thanks Again

Richard