Unix permissions not blocking access on samba shared drive

Gregg Dionne gdionne at kaon.com
Mon Oct 15 17:06:04 GMT 2001

Hi,

I have a strange permissions problem in that my pc clients have access to
unix directories they shouldn't. I have a share "backups" (samba 2.0.8)
pointing to a linux (RH6.1) directory with sub-directories for each user.
The linux permissions are set to 700 for each dir, and each dir is owned by
the user, with a common gid. When the backups directory is mapped to client
pc's (win 98, win 2k) the users should only be able to access their own
directory, However in this case, each user has unlimited acces to all
directories. What am I doing wrong?

security = user

[backups]
    comment = /directories for network backups
    path = /u02/backups
    public = no
    guest = no
    writable = yes