Japanese filename problem

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at samba.org
Mon Oct 15 02:12:02 GMT 2001

Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

>I have set up Samba 2.2.1a on a RH Linux 7.1 (english) machine. The
>problem I have is that the clients are all japanese OS windows
>machines (95, 98, and 2000). When clients try and drag or create
>files/folders on the samba share that have japanes characters the
>names get garbled or messed up in some way.
>
>I have added the followinf to smb.conf but it did not help:
>
>[global]
>
>client code page = 932
>codingsystem = EUC

Basically your setting is good enough,
locale setting on the OS does not concern.

>When clients try and drag or create
>files/folders on the samba share that have japanes characters the
>names get garbled or messed up in some way.

In original Samba 2.x.x, some Japanese characters are not correctly
handled.
If only some characters (User defined character or Vendor defined
characters)are broken, you probably met this problem.

And of course if you look at these Japanese files on Linux box, the
filenames look like broken strings.

if you could,

  - at first change "coding system = HEX"
  - ask Japanese people to write some KANJI characters correctly
    displayed
  - ask to write some KANJI charaters not correctly displayed
  - run ls to show these filenames and send the result.

  If Japanese admin exists, please subscribe samba-jp mailing-list
  from http://www.samba.gr.jp/ml/#samba-jp, and ask the question.

-----
TAKAHASHI, Motonobu(monyo)         monyo at samba.org
Personal - http://home.monyo.com/