Trying to troubleshoot Samba

Ioan NIKY Pricop pniky at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 02:00:05 GMT 2001

--- "Mark Jervis Sr." <mjervis at ptdprolog.net> wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I am trying to install samba here is the results of some
> of the tests I
> cannot access any shares. Please advise. :-)
>

> debian:/var/log# smbstatus
>
> Samba version 2.0.7
> Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
>
> No locked files

This seems OK as long as your services are no longer
available for anyone to access - and lock - files.

> Share mode memory usage (bytes):
>    1048464(99%) free + 56(0%) used + 56(0%) overhead =
> 1048576(100%) total
> debian:/var/log#
>
> debian:/var/log# smbclient -L localhost -U%

Try here with the name of your host instead of "localhost":
as you didn't specify any hostname in smb.conf, use the
linux general hostname of the machine [BTW: I suppose you
have a network card and an eth0 interface - check this with
ifconfig]

> added interface ip=192.168.123.5 bcast=192.168.123.255
> nmask=255.255.255.0
> read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error =
> Broken pipe.
> session request to LOCALHOST failed (code 0)
> read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error =
> Broken pipe.
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (code 0)
>
> debian:/var/log# testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[mjervis]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> Didn't think you needed the long list of definitions
> here. :-)
>
> [mjervis]
>         comment = Marks Share
>         path = /home/mjervis
>         writeable = Yes
>

> Any ideas please let me know ... I am reading the using
> samba html pages
> but I am not that familar with everything I am reading.
>
> My goal is to have samba running on my debian linux box
> to mimic an NT
> server for shares and printer support.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark Jervis