winbindd: Domain password server not available.

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Sun Oct 14 19:28:03 GMT 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Winston Nimchan wrote:

> Followed the instructions and every thing looks like its going thru ok.
> But when i use the getent passwd, I'm only seeing users on my samba box,
> no domain users.
>
> what parameters should i use to compile samba and how should I go about
> that

If you got winbindd then you should be okay.

Try wbinfo -u ... that should give you a lit of the users on the NTDomain.

Assuming this comes back with meaningfull into then the only iss can be your
nsswitch setup.

Make sure you have:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        15881 Sep 28 15:43 /lib/libnss_winbind.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Oct 12 10:28 /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2 -> /lib/libnss_winbind.so

and you have:
passwd:     files winbind
group:      files winbind

If the wbinfo -u doesn't help then try:
wbinfo -t (to test the secrets)  If this doesn't work then you need to join
the domain again.

Also try looking at the log files they are frequently very usefull.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */