Access denied in Swat web administration tool

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat Oct 13 07:46:02 GMT 2001

At what point is the refusal happening?
I have a RH 7.1 system.
swat is started by xinetd, a pain.
So, make sure xinetd knows about swat:
netstat -anp | grep xinetd
and look for something like this:
tcp  0 0 0.0.0.0:901  0.0.0.0:*  LISTEN   3658/inetd
                 ^^^
The 901 is the important thing.
(Yes, I am using inetd on my Caldera box where I am sitting now.)
If you don't have that, you have to fiddle with xinetd.
If you have that, then it might be a firewall problem.
ipchains -F or iptables -F should erase all those pesky rules and let you
connect. (Don't do this if you need the firewall.)
Now, if you are getting the login screen for swat but still can't get in,
that's beyond me. They say you can start swat with the -a option which skips
the password, but I am not getting that working here.
Joel