smbfs very slow

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat Oct 13 05:07:03 GMT 2001

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Hactar wrote:

> It might be the version of W2k -- System Properties : General says it's
> "5.00.2195", "Service Pack 2".  The files are nothing unusual.  There are
> 390 of them in the (alphabetically) first folder.

The server I used was win2k-unknown-sp, so yes, that is a possibility.
Thinking about it I'm not sure I have tested vs sp2 at all ... hmm.

> I did that.  Check your mail for details on how to get it.

Your server isn't up. Perhaps it is too early in US time.

> Even after "make modules", "make modules_install", "rmmod smbfs" I still
> get nothing in /var/log/debug.  I get other entries, just nothing from
> smbfs.  Is there some option I have to set?  modinfo showed nothing.

No options. Sounds like you didn't recompile everything in smbfs (if you
didn't do a 'make clean', at least do 'rm -f fs/smbfs/*.o')

If you suspect syslog, the messages should also be visible throgh dmesg
(and verbose means exactly that ...)

> But I'm willing to try!  What is the syntax for printk()?

Like printf, except you prefix it with a log level (KERN_DEBUG). Just grep
the sources for examples (grep -r printk fs/).

If you are using smbfs as a module you can test changes without rebooting.
In the source tree used to build the running kernel:

vi fs/smbfs/*.c			(or some other editor)
make modules modules_install	(as root)
sync				(always sync when testing new code)
sync				(3 is the magic number)
sync
umount -a -t smbfs		(remove the old module)
rmmod -a
rmmod -a
lsmod				(verify that it is gone)
mount -t smbfs ...		(mount and load the new code)

Repeat until problem is solved or you oopsed the kernel. The second will
normally happen a number of times until the first is achieved. After an
oops always reboot, but save the oops and run it through ksymoops as that
will "tell you" where it crashed.

There is a small, but real danger of corrupting other things. If you have
the resources a separate testing environment can be used (possibly on the
same machine, using a different partition than for normal use).

/Urban