Samba - DHCP & NAT

Coutts, Ashe ashe_dhcp at sbehsd.sbceo.k12.ca.us
Fri Oct 12 18:06:02 GMT 2001

I am using a Linux box (kernel 2.4.11) with iptables at a high school
to NAT 172.16.x.x numbers thru it. I am using SAMBA on another
box.

Win 9x NATed cpus cannot browse thru their network neighborhood
and see the Samba server. But one is able to:
"Net Use \\ITS-P3-Server\Tester"
to attach and have access.

=========start /etc/samba/smb.conf  =======
# Global parameters
        netbios name = ITS-P3-Server
        workgroup = ITS-P3-WG
        server string = P3-Samba %v
        interfaces = 204.48.xxx.yyy/255.255.255.0
    172.16.4.4/255.255.0.0
        max log size = 50
        log level = 3
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        os level = 34
;;;     domain master = Yes
        comment = SBSD ITS P3 RedHat 7.1 Samba Server
        strict locking = Yes
        volume = RedHat6
;       Next lines added to allow Non PlainText passwords
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        security = user
;       Next lines for testing/trials