Samba restart

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Fri Oct 12 17:07:07 GMT 2001

Get used to the fact that RH installs smbd and all its other files in
various places, to make central administation of all daemons rational.
When you install samba from source, everything (AFAIK) goes into
/usr/local/samba.
So, here is all I use to start my daemons.
case "$1" in
 start)
  killall smbd
  killall nmbd
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
  ;;

 stop)
  killall smbd
  killall nmbd
 ;;
 reload)
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/lock/samba/smbd.pid`
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/lock/samba/nmbd.pid`
 ;;
 *)
 echo Usage:
 echo start stop reload
 ;;
esac
exit 0

This seems to work for my Caldera box and may even work for your RH box.
The file in RH 7.1 to replace is:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb

Now, if you like adventure, you could try to edit the smb startup script to
point to your programs. The easiest way to do that would be to install
symbolic links which the RH startup script can find and point those links to
your current binaries, lock files, log files, etc. But, I wouldn't bother,
unless you like getting all those nice green OK's at startup!
Joel