Unkillable Samba on Irix

Andrew Klaassen ak at dkp.com
Fri Oct 12 14:02:02 GMT 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 01:34:41PM -0700,
Herb Lewis wrote:

> Unfortunately we need a little more info. Is this reproducible? When
> it happens, does "smbstatus -p" show all the pids that show up in
> "ps -ef | grep smbd" (ps should show 1 additional smbd whose parent
> is pid 1) If ps shows many more than smbstatus you may be seeing a
> problem with pids waiting to die. Check the log files and see if you
> are seeing crash messages for these smbd processes. I would suggest
> upgrading to at least 2.2.1a as there were some bugs fixed along
> these lines if this is what you are seeing.

Well, it looks like it is reproducible - it's happening again.

smbstatus reports anywhere from 0 to 3 more processes than ps.
I don't see any crash reports in the smbd logs.

This time, one additional thing is happening that wasn't
happening before - X freezes partway through login on the
machine's console.  Also - I can telnet to it as root, but it
hangs on login if I try to telnet in as a regular user.  The NFS
exports of the same drive that Samba is exporting seem to be
fine.

Andrew Klaassen