Windows XP and Samba Domain.

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Fri Oct 12 09:58:03 GMT 2001

> Well I really got myself into it this time...
>
> I'm a novice when it comes to linux, so it's not surprising that when i went
> to fix this little, annoying issue, I caused myself a huge headache...
>
> I'm running RedHat 7.0 with Samba 2.0.7 SSL.
>
> In order to fix the XP/Win2K issue I uninstalled the Samba packages (Main,
> common, client) and installed the 2.2.1a package from the samba
> site...hoping that all would be well.
>
> I copied the *.rpmsave files back to their old locations so that my conf.
> files would be alive and well and my passwd files would work but....then it
> all went to hell.
You have to save more than smb.conf and smbpasswd during the update.
If 2.0.7 was allready a PDC then especially the MACHINE.SID is
importent: The clients have to remember the PDC

> I have the samba server setup as the domain controller, but now clients
> can't log in...all clients can't log in.  Print services aren't working
> properly and I can't access shares.
Thats more than the above mentioned. Are you working with encrypted
passwords? (I think so, you mentioned the passwd files") If not, I
remember postings at this list about trouble with plaintext passwords
and RH. These are only working with pam.

> The strange thing is that I can still browse the network and see the shares
> and printers, I just can't use them anymore.
Any thing in the samba logs?

> What did I do wrong.  Do i need to reinstall 2.2.1a and build my conf file
> from scratch and add users from scratch?  Am I missing something simple?
Did you do a step by step aproach:
- Save the configs, smbpasswords, ...
- stop samba
- remove the old version
- install the new version and copy the config back.
- start samba
- Test basic things: smbclient from the server to the server, conect
  shares
- Once this is working: Do the changes for the PDC, for XP, ...

May do your way through Diagnostic.txt

Ok,
no realy good idea, just same thoughts.

Christian