Win2K doesn't exec logon script

Steve Snyder swsnyder at home.com
Fri Oct 12 09:25:07 GMT 2001

When I boot a Win2K client it should execute the Samba (v2.2.1a, on Linux
2.4.12) netlogon script, but it doesn't.  What am I doing wrong?

The global section of my smb.conf is shown below.  This config, including
the netlogon script, has been working great with Win9x and OS/2.  Please be
gentle as I am a total Win2K newbie.

A few notes:

0. Names used:

  a. My client user name = steve
  b. My client machine name = pluto
  c. My workgroup = snydernet
  d. Name of machine running Samba server = sunburn

1. I am able to browse the shares and to manually map any share to the
appropriate service (drive or printer).  Once mapped the share works fine.

2.  I accasionally see this messages in the Samba log for my Win2K client:

  [2001/10/12 10:17:44, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:call_nt_transact_ioctl(1798)
    call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.

3. I'm suspicious of a few Win2K environment variables, especially
"LOGONSERVER=\\PLUTO".  Shouldn't the name be the name of my Samba server
(sunburn)?

4. The IPC$ seems to be active (as shown in smbstatus output) a long time.
Is it timing out?

5. Win2K does not display any warning or error messages with which I could
diagnose this problem.  It seems to simply not run the script.

---------------------------------------

[global]
   workgroup = SNYDERNET
   server string = Server for SnyderNet LAN

   interfaces = lo eth0
   bind interfaces only = True
   hosts deny = all
   hosts allow = 192.168.0.

   name resolve order = hosts bcast
   dns proxy = no

   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = lprng

   max log size = 0
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
   null passwords = yes

   domain logons = yes
   logon script = netlogon
   logon path = /home/samba/netlogon

   local master = yes
   domain master = yes
   os level = 65
   preferred master = yes

   client code page = 437
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba
   time server = yes
   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY