Can't see samba server from Win98 machine - full data

Ioan NIKY Pricop pniky at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 00:29:04 GMT 2001

> From: "Daniel Tan" <danieltan at shopnsave.com.sg> | Block >
Address  | Add to Address Book
> To: "Ioan NIKY Pricop" <pniky at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Can't see samba server from Win98 machine -
> full data
> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:06:25 +0800
>
> try using security=server
>
> and check whether your win98 workgroup is the same as
what >you stated in
> smb.conf
> Regards,
>
> Daniel Tan
> 7469188 Ext 652
> MIS Department
> ShopNSave Pte Ltd

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your tips. The workgroup is the same for
sure. I will try with the "server" security option, but I
am afraid the problem is somwhere lower. As you can saw by
my extensive message, in "tcpdump" it seems that the
netbios-ssn service doesn't reply, although "netstat"
reports it as "LISTENing". I suspect the problem is
somwhere in the TCP/IP stack, above IP (the two computers
can "ping" each-other) but below Samba (locally, I can
connect through {smbclient '\\nkhome\tmp'} to any samba
share). I am at work now, but when I get home, I'll try
your issue.

=====
Ioan (John) NIKY Pricop
Bucharest - ROMANIA