no response received to oplock break request

Enno Pemöller pemoeller at bonoptic.de
Thu Oct 11 22:50:02 GMT 2001

Hi All,

My problem started with new server hardware and software update, also I
changed my network from 10 to 100Mb (New Cable and switches)
I have a problem with oplocks. I run Samba 2.0.10 (also tried 2.2.1a) on
Suse 7.1 Kernel 2.4. Several times a day I have an oplock error like this:
(request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request to pid
5312 on port 32857 for dev = 803, inode = 246701)
Sometimes it is possible for me to locate a client that hangs an give no
answer to the oplock request, and ok, WIN98ME Clients will hang sometimes,
but on one share I run a dos database Software (Cobol), and when there is an
oplock problem all clients hang and most time I have to restart samba.
Is there any one who knows what I can do?

What I tried is:
Setting
oplock contention limit = 5
oplock break wait time = 100

My settings are:
 # Samba config file created using SWAT
# Date: 2001/10/10 18:34:03

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = SAMBA
	netbios name = FILESERVER
	server string = Samba %v
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	min password length = 2
	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.smbd
	nt acl support = No
	time server = Yes
	change notify timeout = 300
	shared mem size = 2097152
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=8192
	mangled stack = 100
	logon script = scripts\%U.bat
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 65