UNIX username needs to be greater than 8 characters - but can't b e

Henson Kate Kate.Henson at sentryins.com
Wed Oct 10 11:04:44 GMT 2001

I have a user on an NT server that needs to have access to a Samba share
through a drive mapping.  Unfortunately, the user's NT login name is 13
characters long, and my AIX server only allows a username up to 8 characters
to be created.

I can't change the NT username.  I know Samba expects you to create a UNIX
user on the Samba server that matches the NT username.  Is there any way to
create an alternative (8 character name) on the UNIX server and map the 13
character name to it?  Or, any other possible workarounds for this
situation?

We are using Samba 2.0.6 on an AIX 4.2.1 server.

Thanks,
Kate

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you have received this
mail in error, please tell us immediately by return e-mail and delete the
document.