Shared Memory

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Oct 10 10:24:14 GMT 2001

Hi Todd,
You should probably respond to the list samba at lists.samba.org, so others
have
the chance to offer suggestions as well.

I looked at the code, and I don't see any ifdefs, etc. that should require
that you recompile samba to use the smb.conf parameter "shared mem size=".
And I was able to set "shared mem size=5242880" (5 mbytes) on my HP-UX
system
with no problem; you can verify that it actually takes (you have to bring
samba
DOWN, AND remove the current shared memory and semaphore entries from the
system
before this will take effect - samba does not destroy it's shared memory
segment
when it is brought down, and will check to see if it's there on comming up
and
attach to it if it is, rather than recreating it) by immediately doing a
smbstatus after bringing samba up, as it creates the shared memory segment
on first connection if it
does not exist.
What I had to do was the following:

1. added shared mem size = 5242880  to the global section of my smb.conf
file
2. killed nmbd and smbd
3. ipcrm -M 0x00280267  (remove the samba shared memory segment)
4. ipcrm -S 0x00280269  (remove the samba semaphore)
5. nmbd -D
6. smbd -D
7. smbstatus (which gave the following):

	 Samba version 2.0.7
	Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

	Initialised IPC area of size 5242880
	No locked files

	Share mode memory usage (bytes):
   	5242768(99%) free + 56(0%) used + 56(0%) overhead = 5242880(100%)
total

If your kernel parameters do not ALLOW a shared memory segment as large as
you
request, samba will attempt to use a smaller size, until it gets a size that
the
system WILL accept.  So if the above doesn't work for you, you may want to
check
your kernel parameters to see what the maximum shared memory segment size is
defined
for (how to find that out, I don't know, on your particular os...)

Hope this helps,
Don