WINS Server/Browsing help required

Ferris, Richard Richard.Ferris at softwareag.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 09:26:04 GMT 2001

Hi there, I have a query about subnet browsing using Samba 2.2.1a that I
hope someone could help me with.  We have two subnets on our network.  One
that I'll call (aa.bb.cc.*) that we're moving from and another (xx.yy.zz.*)
that we're doing some testing on and will shortly be moving to.  On the
aa.bb.cc.* subnet we have an NT WINS server, which is also the domain
controler for our domain.  On the new subnet xx.yy.zz.* I have a Samba
server configured as the local master browser, which I've set the OS level
to 65 and set the workgroup to our domain.  The problem is that from clients
within  subnet xx.yy.zz.* I can only see/browse the machines within that
subnet.  I can't browse any machines from the old subnet.

When I start nmbd on the Samba server it wins the local election but then
seems to have a problem contacting the WINS server, this I believe is the
reason why the browsing isn't working?  Heres an extract from the nmbd.log
file:

[2001/10/10 16:13:40, 3] nmbd/nmbd_namelistdb.c:add_name_to_subnet(249)
  add_name_to_subnet: Added netbios name __MSBROWSE__<01> with first IP
xx.yy.zz
.21 ttl=0 nb_flags=c0 to subnet UNICAST_SUBNET
[2001/10/10 16:13:42, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:register_name_timeout_response
(201)
  register_name_timeout_response: WINS server at address aa.bb.cc.18 is not
esponding.
[2001/10/10 16:13:42, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:register_name_timeout_response
(201)
  register_name_timeout_response: WINS server at address aa.bb.cc.18 is not
esponding.
[2001/10/10 16:13:42, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:register_name_timeout_response
(201)
  register_name_timeout_response: WINS server at address aa.bb.cc.18 is not
esponding.

I can ping the WINS server from my samba server fine. I can also find
windows machines across both subnets with by running \\SERVERNAME.

Heres a copy of my smb.conf file:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = SAG-UK
        netbios name = NS1
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log level = 3
        os level = 65
        preferred master = True
        domain master = False
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = aa.bb.cc.18

Many Thanks in Advance

Richard Ferris
Systems Administrator

Tel: 01332 611139

--
The content of this e-mail is confidential, may contain privileged material
and is intended solely for the recipient(s) named above. If you receive this

Software AG (UK) Limited
Registered in England & Wales 1310740
Registered Office: Hudson House, Hudson Way,
Pride Park, Derby DE24 8HS