Strange xcopy between Windows and Linux

Brian McGroarty bvmcg at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 17:37:02 GMT 2001

I tried adding "dos filetimes" and restarting the server. No
good.

My smb.conf -
[global]
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        syslog = 3
        max log size = 1000
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
        dns proxy = No
        invalid users = root
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
<... [homes] section deleted ...>
[missile]
        path = /mnt/missile
        read only = No
        dos filetimes = Yes

This is the command which will make Windows want to
(incorrectly) overwrite some files -
xcopy /d /e d:\Pic\*.* w:\Pic\*.*

Here are two snapshots of Windows 2000 file property dialogs.

File in dialog set 1 copies when it shouldn't. Set 2 is okay,
although note that the file time is incorrectly advanced by 1
second:

set 1: http://www.robotattack.com/smb_dialogs_copy.jpg
set 2: http://www.robotattack.com/smb_dialogs_no_copy.jpg

Also - probably unrelated, but note the "Size on disk" in both
pictures. On the server side, the usage is off by three orders
of magnitude. Is this an error on my part?

brian at booberry:/mnt/missile/Pic/Signs$ du Image10.jpg
20      Image10.jpg
brian at booberry:/mnt/missile/Pic/Signs$ grep /mnt/missile -in
/etc/fstab
13:/dev/hdd1    /mnt/missile    reiserfs        defaults
       0       0