nttrans.c:call_nt_transact_ioctl(2516) error seems to prevent homes access

Robert Graham robert.graham at tis-ag.com
Mon Oct 8 23:56:02 GMT 2001

Hello fellow Samba users/admins:

We are running Samba 2.0.7 on SuSE Linux 7.0. Up until last night, this
had been functioning properly.

The problem is this: the homes shares aren't available. On NT4 the users
can't even logon. Under W2K, they can logon to all the other
shares(public,projects,etc), but in the homes share -- only one object
shows up with the name: ~0%

I can't make heads or tails of it. The kicker is: I wasn't even making
changes to the Samba configuration when the problem began. The only
thing I did change at the time was inetd.conf; but, this was only to
enable tftpd and had nothing to do with Samba. And the logs reflect
this, ie there is nothing in the logs at the time the symptoms began
indicating a problem.  All this is especially puzzling for two reasons:

-I reenstated the old inetd.conf file.

AND

-smbd isn't regulated in the inetd.conf nor would smbd function if a
problem with the daemon itself was incurred from these changes.

I restarted the Samba server multiple times. I also double checked both
the global attributes and the homes share attributes with another server
we have running the same Samba version --that functions of course.

The only thing I can find in the logs (on the problem machine) is the
following:

smbd/nttrans.c:call_nt_transact_ioctl(2516)
  call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.

This msg is only logged when a user tries to access his/her homes share.
Despite searching the web with google, no articles or clues to either
the problem or its solution could be found.

I would be grateful for any tip, piece of advice, or new job offer
considering this may get me fired<g>.

May the source be with you,
R Graham
--