Joining NT Domain

T. William Schmidt wschmidt at starband.net
Mon Oct 8 10:59:09 GMT 2001

Thanks Jim for your response, the only one received BTW, but as I mentioned
in my original post, I read DOMAIN_MEMBER.html in the docos and fully
understood it.  I was shooting myself in the foot however, as I executed
smbpasswd -j Domain_Name -r PDC more than once, thinking that could do no
harm. :-(  It turns out it does, and you hose your PDC machine account if
you do it.  I proved this to my satisfaction by having the PDC account
removed and recreated and then testing smbpasswd again, and again and ...
again.  So word to the wise, do it only once and trust your NT Admin guy
when he says the account exists.  BTW: it is a 30 second job to create a
PDC account but like some admin guys all over the world, they like to make
you think they are opening their veins when they just do their jobs, but I
am ranting about consulting life in large global enterprises...

After getting past this issue I still had a problem, in that my Samba
server would not authenticate PC accounts in the PDC.  The error I got,
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED, pointed at an rpc problem between my AIX 4.3.2.0
machine and the PDC.  In fact, it was this error that caused me to think I
had not successfully joined the domain, and is why I executed the smbpasswd
command a second time in the first instance.  I traced the problem from the
logs as far as the modules in ../rpc_server and I suspected the function
_net_auth_2() in src_netlog_nt.c, but could see no easy way of exercising
that code in dbx to examine it further.

To make a long and painful story short, I moved the Samba bits compiled on
this machine to another RS/6000 with AIX 4.3.3.0, got a PDC account for
this machine, executed smbpasswd only once and my Samba server worked
perfectly.  I repeated these tests several times on both machines to verify
that it was not a fluke, and got identical results.  Fortunately I have
access to more than one RS/6000 and can find suitable examples of different
versions of the OS.  Pity the poor guy with only a single machine that he
must get working...

So, my conclusion is that even though I compiled the 2.2.1a source distro
on this AIX 4.3.2.0 machine, there is something missing in the run-time
libraries or system calls that is not revealed at compile time.  My compile
errors for 2.2.1a where strictly type problems between signed and unsigned
32 bit ints, that all were fixed with casts.  My config status was OK on
both machines and after added those casts the distro compiled
flawlessly.  I can only conclude that my 4.3.2.0 on this particular machine
is not patched to permit 2.2.1a to execute, especially the rpc code, even
thought it will compile, while on 4.3.3.0, the problem is not present.  So
I am reluctantly abandoning all further work on AIX 4.3.2.0.

It was probably good for me that no one on the list responded and I had to
work through these issues on my own.  I know a lot more about Samba today
than I did a week ago, and I have lost all fear of getting into the sources
and poking around.  I recompiled the distro with -g on so that I could run
smbpasswd in dbx, and learned a lot from that exercise.

Thanks again Jim, for following up.

At 11:46 AM 10/8/2001 -0400, Van Sickler, Jim wrote:

>Will,
>
>   I was looking at the Samba List Archive and saw your message-since it's
>been a week, you probably already have your answer.
>
>But here's my nickel just in case-I get the same error messages if I try to
>join the Domain without having already created the computer on the PDC.

>------
>
>   Add the TESTSMB1 computer to the Domain using the Server Manager.
>
>   su to root on TESTSMB1
>
>   smbpasswd -j CORP -r CORP01
>
>  Hopefully you're done - If not, let me know.

>-------
>
>   Jim Van Sickler
>   Network Administrator
>   Kaman Aerospace Corp EODC