Problems saving word and xls documents

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Mon Oct 8 06:33:04 GMT 2001

Sten Sletbak wrote:

> Users  can't  do a normal save on word and excel documents if they
> leave an open document untouched for more than an hour or so. They can,
> however, use "Save as.." and save the file under another name...
> Putting "veto oplock files=/*.xls/" on the homes share solved the
> problem, but I should think that this is not very desireable. Oplocks
> are a good thing, are'nt they?
> Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm running Samba 2.2.0a on RH 7.1.

Sure, but what are you using as clients?  Many versions of Windows are
known to be broken with regard to oplocks.  Yes, turning them on is
desirable, but not when the client uses them incorreclty.
Personally, if you have Windows 95/98 on the network anywhere, I'd turn
oplocks off altogether to save yourself future problems.

-Bill

--
"Where's the robot to pat you on the back?"