NT Domain validation error

Ravishankar S. (VODC) - CTD, Chennai. ravi_s at ctd.hcltech.com
Mon Oct 8 01:20:03 GMT 2001

Hi all,
     Can somebody help me solve the foll. error.

    I have installed samba in 4 servers (sol8 in 3 nos and sol7 in 1 no) and
have configured for our NT domain validation (have pointed it to our domain
server) and it has been working fine for more than 2 weeks.  Now suddenly
all the servers are asking for user name and passwords.  I tried stopping
and restarting the daemons.  Still the same condition.  Then I tried giving
the smbpasswd -j -r command.  It is giving the foll. error.

#smbpasswd -j milkyway -r alpha
cli_net_req_chal: Error NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED
cli_nt_setup_creds: request challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine ALPHA.
Error was : NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED.
2001/10/08 13:42:28 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain MILKYWAY.
Unable to join domain MILKYWAY

Can some one tell me how to solve it and what is the reason for the sudden
stoppage of validations.

Thanks and Regards,
S. Ravishankar.

Disclaimer:
This document is intended for transmission to the named recipient only.  If
you are not that person, you should note that legal rights reside in this
document and you are not authorized to access, read, disclose, copy, use or
otherwise deal with it and any such actions are prohibited and may be
unlawful. The views expressed in this document are not necessarily those of
HCL Technologies Ltd. Notice is hereby given that no representation,
contract or other binding obligation shall be created by this e-mail, which
must be interpreted accordingly. Any representations, contractual rights or
obligations shall be separately communicated in writing and signed in the
original by a duly authorized officer of the relevant company.