Samba over SSH

Phillip Hofmeister plhofmei at svsu.edu
Sun Oct 7 11:54:02 GMT 2001

Greets all:

I have run into an interesting problem while running samba
over SSH.  I've set up a tunnel by editing
C:\windows\lmhosts, aliased my samba server name
to "127.0.0.1 ServerName #DOM:SGC(my Work Group name)
#PRE".  I've forwarded port 139.  The tunnel and forwarding
seem to work fine.  I can map the shares to drives, copy
files from the share to the local client, delete files from
the share, etc.  One problem I have ran in to is attempting
to OPEN a file with any application.  For example: When I
double click on S:\readme.txt I get the message:

S:\readme.txt
The directory name is invalid.

This error message appears with a variety of file types and
different applications.

Has anyone run into a similar situation, if so, how did you
work around it?

Phillip