FreeBSD connectivity problems on a Win98se and Win2k Pro machine

Unix Rookie unixrookie at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 7 09:22:03 GMT 2001

Alright... i did what you and Yves suggested...

Here's the output of both commands:

C:\WINDOWS>net use q: \\froggie5\sameer

Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be located.
Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or try again later
when the remote computer is available.

C:\WINDOWS>net view \\froggie5

Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be located.
Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or try again later
when the remote computer is available.

I intially installed Samba through the FreeBSD ports... but I later uninstalled
it because it was an older version (2.08)... I honestly dunno why the sources
of an older version are present when I run cvsup three times a week.

I downloaded the latest Samba build and did the:

./configure
make && make install

This has given me another set of problems that are more annoyig thatn
problematic (these files aren't included in my path even though I manually
added them in both the .profile and .bash_profile files)

-Sameer