samba & automounts

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sat Oct 6 11:57:02 GMT 2001

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Michael Ghens wrote:

> I a have a samba server on a network with automount directory (solaris8)
> with 400+ automounts.
>
> If I go to the automounted directory "/import". It is slower than snot. I
> can go one directory lower with no problem. I have told the users this,
> but they still want to go to the /import directory.

The reason is that smbd will stat every directory is gets from an
opendir(), readdir(), closedir() set IIRC.  Thus causing
all of the mounts to occur.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org