Short Names : samba and WinNT/2K differs

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sat Oct 6 08:10:04 GMT 2001

iOn Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Yves Gattegno wrote:

> I tried this manually and it works but it is really dirty and I
> would prefer a method that would make samba building the
> "correct" mangled names ("correct" means there the short names
> DOS/Windows would use for the same tree diagram.

The term "correct" is relative in this context.  What you are
asking for would be virtually impossible IMO due to performance
reasons and the fact that Unix file systems do not provide
the capability to store a short name in the inode (as VFAT does).

But of course, patches are always welcome :-)

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org