Q: reverse nmblookup *outside* a subnet?

Wilkinson Charlie E Charlie.E.Wilkinson at irs.gov
Tue Oct 2 08:03:03 GMT 2001

Greetings Fellow Sambalians,
I'm wondering if it's possible to use nmblookup to do reverse
lookups (lookup an IP address and get back a NETBIOS name) outside
my own network segment.  I see that I can effectively do reverse
lookups inside my subnet directly, or I can do forward lookups
of distant nodes against a WINS server, but I can't seem to find
a way to do what I want.  I see that "ping -a ip_appress" under
Windoze will give me the NETBIOS name for a distant node.  Any
way to do this with nmblookup, or some other Samba util?

I have a Perl CGI that would really like to do reverse NMB
lookups....

Thanks muchly,
		Charlie

Apologies if this message contains any HTML.  I've made it as
"plain text" as Outlook will allow.  :-/
--
Charlie Wilkinson
TRIS Development Systems Administrator
MSMail:   Charlie.E.Wilkinson at irs.gov
SMTP:  cwilkins at tris.irs.gov
Home:  cwilkins at boinklabs.com
This message constructed from 90% post-consumer electrons.