Simple win2k problem

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 05:54:04 GMT 2001

Hey folks,

I have the following setup:

3 Windows 2000 sp2 machines, 1 SuSe Linux machine ver. 7.2, samba version
2.2.0a. No domain, just a workgroup.

I wanted to set up a single share from the linux box to the win2k machines.

So I set up a simple smb.conf as follows:

[global]
         workgroup = myworkgroup
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         map to guest = Bad User
         keepalive = 30
         os level = 2
         kernel oplocks = No

[homes]
         comment = home-directory
         path = /home/myuser
         read only = No
         create mask = 0750
         guest ok = Yes

I can easily map the drive from the win2k boxes back to the linux box. That
is all the  functionality that I was looking for.

I have not installed anything else in either the Linux box, or the Win2k
Machines.

My problem is sporadic and intermittent at best. What happens is that I
loose the ability to browse between some of the win2k machines. This
includes printer sharing and file sharing.

Any comments and or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron