User Access

Richard Ibbotson richard at sheflug.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 12:45:01 GMT 2001

Dear All

> Is it possible to allow a number of Windows clients - on Win 98 -
> to have access to the same directory on a Samba server ?  The
> purpose of this would be for two or more people to have access to
> the same document at the same time so that they could edit it.

I've had a few answers to this.  Many thanks to those of you who did
write to me.  However, I'm getting confusing suggestions from a
number of people who aren't too sure whether Smartsuite locks a
document on a Samba server so that only one person can use a single
document at a time and edit it.  This is Smartsuite spreadsheets,
word documents and the organiser.    Any answers to this would help a
lot.  The smb.conf looks like this ......

#
#
# /etc/smb.conf
#
# Global parameters

[global]
        public = yes
        workgroup = workgroup
        netbios name = win_2000_server
        map to guest = Bad User
        security = user
        keepalive = 30
        log level = 10
        domain logons = yes
        domain master = yes
        os level = 65
        local master = yes
        wins support = yes
        kernel oplocks = no
        password level = 8
        guest ok = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.

[homes]

        path = /home/docs
        force group = users
        browseable = yes
        writable = yes
        create mask = 0660
        directory mask = 0755
        valid users = users
        write list = users
        locking = no

There's a group called users in the Samba machine so that they can
all access the documents on the drive.  The suggestion I've had is
that I should add another share which looks like ......

[newshare]

        path = /some/empty/disk/space
        browseable = yes
        public = no
        valid users = joe bert alice carole

Then create the new directory and re-start Samba.  Don't know if this
works I haven't tried it.  It's said that this will allow all
documents to be edited by several users at the same time.  Informed
comment would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

--
Richard