strange problems

Alexander Seitz Alexander.Seitz at fhs-hagenberg.ac.at
Mon Oct 1 07:03:07 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I am having some strange problems with samba on one of my fileservers.
I am using samba 2.2.1a compiled with qouta support and the quota patches.
Kernel is 2.4.9 with quota patches.
Everything seems to work fine exept some very wired things:

If I try to save a document from word 2000 to a samba share the file can't
be read afterwards by word.
The file is on the server I can copy the file from there, but office can't
read it. (the file is damaged)
If I save a file not in w2k office format, and save it as office97 document
everything works fine. (still from the same word 2k) I just say "save as"
and change the document type.
If I disable kernel oplocks it works with w2k format too.
But the really strange thing, I have the same setup on 6 other servers and
there it works perfectly.
But now I am having problems storing outloook profiles on the server.
The only difference I see between the servers is that one has a hardware
raid 5 (this server behaves normally) and the other one has a software raid
1.
Is it possible that samba conflicts somehow with the raid code ?
Has anyone ever hat this problem and is there a solution ?

[global]
   workgroup = FHS-HAGENBERG
   encrypt passwords = yes
   security = DOMAIN
   password server = ad3 ad2 ad1
   netbios name = CBLINUX
   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
#   wins sever = 10.21.0.26
   os level = 0
   wins support = no
   preferred master = no
   local master = no
   debug level = 0
   log level = 1
   mangled names = yes
   default case = lower
   case sensitive = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   level2 oplocks = True
   oplocks = True
   max connections = 0
   max smbd processes = 0
   strict sync = no
   large readwrite = yes
   write cache size = 262144
   hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0,
193.170.124.0/255.255.255.0,193.170.125.0/255.255.255.0,193.170.126.0/255.25
5.255.0,193.170.127.0/255.255.255.0

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No