Newbie question

Rahul Parasnis rahul.parasnis at creditlyonnais.fr
Mon Oct 1 03:59:03 GMT 2001

I have just installed samba 2.2.1a on Solaris 8 .

Created  share called users

/usr/local/samba/private# smbclient //drsunfs1/users
added interface ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX bcast=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX nmask=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Password:
Domain=[DRSHOKEN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.1a]

this works fine from the server itself .

Since I am using NIS I did like this .

ypcat passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /tmp/smbpass.tmp

moved this file as smbpasswd and restarted smbc and nmbd .

Now when I try to connect from PC

C:\>net use s: \\drsunfs1\users
The password is invalid for \\drsunfs1\users.

Type the password for \\drsunfs1\users:
System error 1240 has occurred.

The account is not authorized to login from this station.
I did change the passwd by

smbpasswd rahul
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Password changed for user rahul.

I have not specified anything in deny network

still it says , Account is not authorized from this station .
If I try to do this from another Unix Workstastion

 ./smbclient //drsunfs1/users/
Server time is Mon Oct  1 19:55:24 2001
Timezone is UTC+9.0
Password:
Domain=[DRSHOKEN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.1a]
security=user
first SMBtconX failed, trying again. ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid share name)
SMBtconX failed. ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid share name)
Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
Some servers insist that these be in uppercase

Ofcourse here I specified root password
although
./smbclient -L drsunfs1 gives correct output

please  help and forgive me for asking the question  which has asked many times .

best regards
- Rahul