samba-2.2.2 and Linux 2.2.20 replacing Win2K?

Bill Parker dogbert at mail.netnevada.net
Fri Nov 30 22:14:02 GMT 2001

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could give me some pointers as to how to get rid of the
spooge of microsoft from our office, and have samba-2.2.2 assuming file sharing
duties (read this as the Boss isn't happy with all the win2K crashes on the
NIC's)

The machine is a Pent-III 850Mhz w/256MB, dual NIC's, and 2 HD's (IDE) with
/dev/hda1 being where the OS is stored, and /dev/hdb1 is a 19GB drive where
the files will reside (running kernel 2.2.20, on Caldera OpenLinux 3.1).

Here is the current permissions on the shares in question:

drwxrwsrwx   7 drivef   dbsapps      1024 Nov 30 04:54 drivef
drwxrwsrwx   8 drivev   dbsapps      1024 Nov 30 17:22 drivev

Now, dbsapps is a group in which all users will be able to write to either
/home/drivef or /home/drivev (I used chmod 2777 -R /home/drivef and
/home/drivev)

here is my smb.conf

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.3.4 (192.168.3.4)
# Date: 2000/02/08 11:41:41

# Global parameters
[global]
         netbios name = LINUXSERVER
         workgroup = WORKGROUP
         server string = New File Server on Openlinux 3.1
         interfaces = xx.xxx.xx.217/24 169.254.1.217/16
         hosts allow = xx.xxx.xx. 169.254. localhost
         password level = 8
         password server = dbsroot
         username level = 8
         security = Domain
         encrypt passwords = Yes
#       os level = 34
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%I
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY
         wins support = no
         wins server = xx.xxx.xx.25
         local master = no
         name resolve order = hosts lmhosts bcast wins
         dns proxy = no
         time server = yes
         guest ok = no
#

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         read only = No
         browseable = No

[drivev]
         comment = Network Files for Drive V:
         path = /home/drivev
         read only = No
         writeable = Yes
         guest ok = Yes
         create mask = 0777
         force create mode = 0777
         directory mask = 0777
         force directory mode = 0777

[temp]
         comment = Temporary File Space
         path = /tmp
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes

This machine will ONLY be used for file serving at the moment, and I was
wondering
if you could give me additional pointers to improve the performance of the
machine?
(it will be used to hold database files, html, text files, etc).  I know I
will need to add
users to /etc/passwd and with smbpasswd and gpasswd to make things work, but
am I missing something here?

I really want Linux and Samba-2.2.2 to shine and out perform win2K, so any
suggestions
that could be provided would help.