Strange problem on Samba/NT sp6a

Leonardo Rodrigues coelho at persogo.com.br
Fri Nov 30 07:09:28 GMT 2001

    Hello Guys,

    I'm having a very strange problem with my file server ( latest samba
RPM from redhat )

[root at krusty secundarias]# rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-client-2.0.10-2
samba-2.0.10-2
samba-common-2.0.10-2

[root at krusty samba]# uname -r
2.2.19

    One of our machines ( NT4 workstation with SP6a ) is saving files on
a share that becames unacessible for all users. After some research on
the machine, I found that this specific file is being saved with NO
permissions at all:

   4 -rwxrw----    1 notes    web           948 Nov 30 11:41
consultar.gif
   4 ----------    1 notes    web          1002 Nov 30 12:41
consultarvalor0.gif
   4 -rwxrw----    1 notes    web          1002 Nov 30 12:20
consultarvalor1.gif

    So, its really not a problem people getting Access Denied on it. The
big problem here is: WHY do this file is being saved like this ??

    smb.conf is:

[global]
   workgroup = PERSOGO
   security = server
   password server = BART

[htmlsolu]
   comment = Conteudo HTML da Solution Web
   path =/opt/notesdata/domino/htmlsolution
   public = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = @web
   printable = no
   create mask = 0770
   directory mask = 0770
   force user = notes
   force group = web

    As you could see, my users ( and their password ) are on a NT
server. I have to create each of the users on the Linux box, but without
password.

    This configuration is working for a long time, and all my users are
accessing ( writing and reading ) it succesfully. Altough, this single
machine is creating this permissionless files.

    The only different thing I found it this machine log, that is
showing these errors:

[2001/11/30 12:20:32, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:call_nt_transact_ioctl(2516)
  call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.

    I've research on mailing list archives, and this message seems to be
safely 'ignorable'. Altough I dont know this is or not related to the
permissions problem, this is the only difference I could find ....

    Questions ...... Have you ever seen something like this ???  Any
hint ? Tips ? Solutions ?

    Anyway, I'd like to thanks all answers I'll receive :)

    Sincerily,
    Leonardo Rodrigues