NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED??

Vich vich at synology.com
Fri Nov 30 01:38:02 GMT 2001

I installed Samba2.0.7 on my FreeBSD 4.1 box and joined an NT domain.
It worked perfect until I changed the hostname today. I found that I couldn't
chage the machine password if hostname length is 15. The precedure I
do is

1. stop samba
2. change hostname to "abcde1234567890"
3. run smbpasswd -j DOM -r DomControl, then I get the following error
    message.

cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine DomControl. Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
2001/11/30 16:58:03 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change password for domain DOM.
Unable to join domain DOM.

Is this Samba's limitation? I have tested 2.0.7, 2.0.8, and 2.2 and got the
same result.

Regards,

Vic Hsu
vich at synology.com