Win2k profile problem

andy thomas andy at ic.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 22:40:03 GMT 2001

We had about 100 PCs running Windows NT 4 with both the user home
directories and the roaming profiles stored on a DEC Alpha server running
samba 2.0.7. This all worked fine for a couple of years but we have just
moved on to Win2k and we are having problems with profiles.

Whenever anyone logs in, a message appears saying Windows is unable to
read the user's profile and that a temporary profile will be used instead,
and that changes will not be saved when the user logs out. The profiles
section of my smb.conf looks like this:

[user_profile]
	comment = user profiles directory
	path = /maths/user_profiles
	browseable = yes
	writeable = yes
	create mode = 0700
	directory mode = 0700
	username = %U
	valid users = %U
	nt acl support = no

I added in this last line after reading here of problems with Win2k SP2
roaming profiles (our PCs all have SP2 installed). It has not made any
difference to the profile problem.

Is there a fix for this problem or is it a known issue with samba and
Win2k that is still be worked on?

Andy