Diagnosis Article

Phil Greenway admin at wenck.com.au
Thu Nov 29 16:03:04 GMT 2001

Just following your the Diagnosis Article located at
(http://samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html):-

At Test 3, there is nothing mentioned if the test prompts for a password:-

mercury# smbclient -L mercury
added interface ip=203.220.30.98 bcast=203.220.30.103 nmask=255.255.255.248
added interface ip=192.168.10.122 bcast=192.168.10.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:

When I press ENTER, it then displays the shares:-

Anonymous login successful
Domain=[WENCK] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.2]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        public         Disk      dump all monitor files here
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.2.2)
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Samba 2.2.2)

etc ...

At Test 8, On the PC type the command "net view \\BIGSERVER".

I get the following:-

C:\>net view \\mercury
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

The issue is when I try to access the share name on any Windows box,
\\mercury\public\  I get the following error message on the Windows boxes
"The account is not authorized to log in from this station"

Here is my smb.conf:-

[global]
  workgroup = WENCK
  encrypt passwords = no
  guest ok = yes
  read only = no
  preserve case = yes

[public]
   comment = dump all monitor files here
   path = /usr/home/monitor/servers
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   writeable = yes

Any ideas ?  I would think it's something to do with the smb.conf, but I
can't find any information anywhere which will help.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this Email message maybe
confidential. It is only intended for the recipient named above. If you are
not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this Email is
unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this Email in error,
please accept our apology for the inconvenience. Would you please notify the
sender so that arrangements can be made for its retrieval or destruction.
Thank you.