Disappearing shares

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Thu Nov 29 11:05:03 GMT 2001

I have a problem of shares that "disappear" or are inaccessible.

This only happens with Win2k and only for some users.  My Samba is version
2.2.2 running on Solaris 2.6.  Here's the sequence:

1) The user logs into PC (not using PDC).
2) He connects to Samba server via "Run..." and typing \\spike.
3) The user is prompted for "connect as" and "password".  The correct ones
    are used.
4) The server window opens and all the shares show, all the printers show, etc.
5) This particular user is in the group that has access to CustMgr-*.  He
    double clicks on any of these and receives an error:
         The network name cannot be found.
6) The user double clicks on any of the other shares, it opens fine.
7) He then goes back and the three CustMgr-* shares have disaapeared.

I have attached the smb.conf, after expansion and removal of printer
definitions.  The real smb.conf has entries like:
     include = /etc/samba/primary-config/%U
which is what makes the group shares only show for those people that are
in the group.   I would otherwise have way too may shares!

I have captured a level 10 log and grepping for CustMgr I see:
   init_srv_share_info1: CustMgr-Grp        0 /u/custmgr/group -- Group Only Share
   init_srv_share_info1: CustMgr-Pub        0 /u/custmgr/public -- Publicly Readable Share
   init_srv_share_info1: CustMgr-Web        0 /u/custmgr/public_html -- Group's webspace
   free_service: Freeing service CustMgr-Grp
   free_service: Freeing service CustMgr-Pub
   free_service: Freeing service CustMgr-Web
   lp_servicenumber: couldn't find CustMgr-Web
   checking for home directory CustMgr-Web gave (NULL)
   find_service() failed to find service CustMgr-Web
   lp_servicenumber: couldn't find CustMgr-Web
   checking for home directory CustMgr-Web gave (NULL)
   find_service() failed to find service CustMgr-Web
   lp_servicenumber: couldn't find CustMgr-Web
   checking for home directory CustMgr-Web gave (NULL)
   find_service() failed to find service CustMgr-Web
The full log file is available upon request, but it is 1.5Mbytes.  I have
the same from a WinME system.

Why does it see them, then they disappear?  Why does the same user work
fine on WinME and WinNT?

This always happened when I had 2.0.* and tried to use Win2k.  It went
away with 2.2.1 and now has come back with 2.2.2, but only for some
users/Win2k systems.

I really need to get this solved as we are upgrading all our customer support
people to Win2k (new application dependencies) and it isn't good to
have customer support crippled.

Help!

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ           gaa@@ulticom.com              +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054      Fax:+1 856 866 2033

        A self-addressed envelope would be addressed "envelope."