Help me Please

Abhaya Kumar Samal kabhaya at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 09:51:56 GMT 2001

Kind Attention: Andrew Tridgell
                Jeremy Allison
                Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
                John H Terpstra

Dear Sir,

Good wishes. I am in big trouble. Please, help me. I
am trying to setup and configure our college network.
It comprises of the following:

1. RedHat Linux Server, Assembled PC, 20GB IDE, P-III,
400 MHz, 256 MB MM
   eth0: IP Address: 192.168.0.1, Net Mask:
255.255.255.0, Network: 192.168.0.0
   eth1: IP Address: 192.168.11.1, Net Mask:
255.255.255.0, Network: 192.168.11.0
   Host Name: gateway.ncit.edu.np
   Pri.DNS: 127.0.0.1
   Connected directly (Crossover UTP) to the intranet
Server over 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2
2. RedHat Linux Server, Compaq ProLiant ML-350,
18.2GBx2 SCSI, 256 MB MM, 866 MHz
   eth0: IP Address: 192.168.0.2, Net Mask:
255.255.255.0, Network: 192.168.0.0
   eth1: IP Address: 192.168.1.1, Net Mask:
255.255.255.0, Network: 192.168.1.0
   Host Name: intranet.ncit.edu.np
   Pri.DNS: 127.0.0.1
   This is the Samba Server, with:
   workgroup = NTDOM
   netbios name = NTSERV
   Connected to the Network HUB over 192.168.1.1. This
is the internal network.
3. NT Server (PDC), Assembled PC, 20GB IDE, P-III, 800
MHz, 256 MB MM
   IP Address: 192.168.1.2
   Domain Name = NTDOM
   NetBIOS name = NTPDC
4. NT Workstations, Assembled PC, 20GB IDE, P-III, 800
MHz, 256 MB MM
   NetBIOS Names: <Lab.Code>WS<Machine Sl.No.>, e.g.,
LB1WS01, LB1WS02, etc.
  IP Addresses: 192.168.1.21(LB1WS01) to 192.168.1.180
(LB8WS20)

All installations were successful. Samba 2.0.7 was
installed and configured. Logon from Windows98
Workstations were successful. But, I failed to put the
NT Workstations onto the domain. NT Version was 4.0
with NT Service Pack 6a installed both at the Server
(NTPDC) and Workstation (LB1WS01). Error message
displayed was:
"Unable to connect to the domain controller for this
domain. Have your administrator check your computer
account on the domain.". Linux Version is RedHat 7.1.

Following tasks were performed after successful
installation of Samba Server and establishing
connectivity with Windows98 Machines.

On the NT Server (NTDOM/NTPDC):
------------------------------
Through Server Manager for Domains, added the Samba
Server as Windows NT Workstation Machine by the
NetBIOS Name: NTSERV to the Domain.

On the Samba Server (NTDOM/NTSERV):
----------------------------------
Stopped the Samba daemon: root#service smb stop
Made the Samba Server to join the Domain: root#
smbpasswd -j NTDOM -r NTPDC
Response: Joined domain NTDOM
Confirmed the creation of file
/etc/samba/NTDOM.NTSERV.mac
Made necessary changes to the /etc/samba/smb.conf. The
listing of smb.conf is appended herewith at the end
for your kind reference.
Then, created a group for the NT Workstation's machine
account on the Samba Server (NTSERV):
  root# groupadd ntmachines
Created Machine account as: root# adduser -d /dev/null
-c "NT Machines" -s /bin/false -g ntmachines -n
LB1WS01$
Updated the Samba Password file by: root# smbpasswd -a
-m LB1WS01$
Started the Samba daemon: root# service smb start

On the NT Workstation (LB1WS01):
-------------------------------
Tried to login through Workgroup setting = NTDOM in
Network -> Properties -> Identification Tab. Failed.
But found at the NTPDC through the Network Browser
that all are displayed (NTPDC, NTSERV and LB1WS01). At
Samba Server, the command: root# smbclient -L NTSERV
also displayed all these NetBIOS names under the
Server Column.
Tried to put the NT Workstation (LB1WS01) onto the
Domain by changing the Workgroup to Domain setting in
Network -> Properties -> Identification Tab. But on
clicking Ok, instead of getting "Welcome to domain
NTDOM" message, I got the message "Unable to connect
to the domain controller for this domain. Have your
administrator check your computer account on the
domain.".

Clarifications Requested (Beyond the Current Problem
Area):
1. Is it necessary to have both NT Server PDC (NTPDC)
and Samba Server (NTSERV) to coexist concurrently in
the Samba NT Domain (NTDOM)?
2. Is it required to reinstall the NT Workstation OS
S/w every time it fails to establish the connectivity?
3. I want to add one printer (Laser Printer) to the NT
Server (NTPDC) and another printer (High Speed Dot
Matrix Printer) to the Samba Server. I want both the
printer to be sharable and accessible at the
workstation. Does it require any special attention at
the time of configuring it?
4. I want to add two more server to the network (one
SUN Solaris for Intel i386 Server and another FreeBSD
Server). They will be accessible only through Telnet
and FTP Service. Will there be any problem in
incorporating them on the network?

Kindly help me to establish the connectivity and
suggest me what to do.

Waiting eagerly for your valued response at the
earliest.

Sincerely,

Abhaya Kumar Samal,
Professor and Head,
Dept. of Comp. Sc. & Engg.,
Nepal College of Information Technology,
Imadol VDC, EPC 1525, GPO Box: 8975,
Kathmandu, Nepal.
Phone: +977-1-543084
E-mail: kabhaya at yahoo.com

#======================================================================
# This is the main Samba configuration file for NCIT
Samba Domain NTDOM
#========================= Global Settings
============================
[global]