Shares are not listed (Access denied)

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Nov 29 06:26:30 GMT 2001

Hi roland,
using the commmand
smbclient -U% -L server is pretty much the same thing effectively;
you are telling samba to connect to the server with a null username password
pair, which is going to get you a guest connection IF you are allowed to
connect at all (registry settings on the server can restrict anonymous
connections).

If what you meant you are doing instead is "smbclinet
-U<username>%<password> -L server,
then  I would expect this to work, if <username> and <password> are locally
defined
on the server you are accessing.  One note - if samba is in a different
workgroup
or domain than the server you are doing the smbclient request to, and the
username is
not LOCALLY defined on the server, you will probably need to use the
following syntax:

Hope this helps,
don