Problem with printer driver sharing Win2k klients.

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Nov 28 08:20:25 GMT 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Arve Emil Myrås wrote:

> Hi...
> I got this new server at work that I have to get 100% up and running by
> tomorrow.
> It's running Samba 2.2.1a on SuSE 7.3 Pro
> It's supposed to be VPN - File and Printer Server
> The printers are:
> One OCE 700C / CS90 color copier and One OCE 3165
> And there is only one problem left.
> I can install the printer drivers for Win9x & NT on the samba server.
> But I can't figure out how to install Win2000/XP drivers.
> When trying to use a Win2k pro client to install the drivers it just
> complains about the driver not being compatible with my windows version
> when I press ok in the "Additional Drivers" requester. After selecting
> Win2000 driver for installation but BEFORE I get any file requester.

I would suggest getting the WIN2K client ot use the NT drivers.
Debugging printer driver remote installation problems is a full
time job.

But if you are really interested, start by trying to install the driver
from a win2k client onto another win2k server (win2k prof is fine)
remotely.

> Do I need another directory below print$ for the win2000 driver??

No. Win2k drivers are stored in [print$]/W32X86/3.

chau, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
 http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard      gerald_carter_at_hp.com