Snap server in Samba PDC domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed Nov 28 01:23:05 GMT 2001

Firstly, don't past HTML to the list...  It makes it harder for people
to answer you...

>     This sounds curiously like the problem that I have right now. I have an NT 4.0 PDC. Samba 2.2.1a is the WINS server. Everything seems to be OK.
>     I use Retrospect Tape Backup (and also have tried Backup Exec to perform tape backups. Backup Exec can not map a drive.) Retrospect will "on again/off again" be able to see
>     mapped drives, but will "lose" the connection after about an hour or so and not be able to reestablish it until I go into Network Neighborhood.

I think the problem here is the use of what Samba calls
'security=server'.  The problem is that the appliance simply uses a 'man
in the middle' approach.  Unfortunetly becouse the appliance did not
genearte the challange, it cannot process the reply, it must pass it
back to the PDC.  But if the PDC 'goes away' in the meantime, you can't
do anything but drop the connection.  You certianly cannot offer any
more authentications.

These devices are insecure, and broken.

In any case, there may well be a bug in our timeout processing - I've
seen some evidence that we simply ignore the keepalive packets, and I'll
need to look into it a bit futher at some stage.  (If sombody beats me
to it, all the better).

Hope this at least gives you a start on where the problem is.  If
anybody feels up to it, I'm sure its a pretty simple fix.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net